[iwar] The Possibilities

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-05-14 21:34:19

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] The Possibilities

 It was a though of future threats that the US is not ready for.  A year ago, no one would have believed a day like 9-11 would befall us in one short year, but it did.  Even the Brass looking at the Homeland issue in 01 at an NDU conference gave the idea little time and less thought.  It was the ultimate "what if" of terrorisms next moves.  It may only be a what.  Then again, it may become a when if.  In the early days, only a few short years ago, the net was a place to learn and exchange thought. Sure, L.L. Bean's at Christmas must not be forgotton, but with some very simple forensic tools I have recently purchased, the net, which  is still primarily a place where info is shared, has developed a bad neigborhood  embedded almost everywhere.
Just as bugs become more complex, the next organized  abuse of the net will take on larger proportions and with no cops to patrol the one's and zero's that make up cyber wall, I was just think about the posibilities for the future. And none of us can be sure of what the cyber future brings.  As capibilities get better, faster, and more data is munched, do anyone know just who is doing what and to whom?.  Prior to the Soviet Unions death, we have conventions like COMECON to, in theroy keep high powered machines from ending up in the wrong hands.  Little such restraint exists at presest as the old arguement go, "if we don't sell it to nation x,y, or z, the French will.  What is the future you see, and these actions do not occur for no reason, ya know. Nation, or sub--nation never do thinks that are not in their self interest just because the US asks nicely.
  Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote: At 05:18 PM 5/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>   >>Warning on Cyberattack 'Exaggerated'
>
>I still think we should siphon another few billion $$$ out of the physical
>counter-terrorism fund.  Ignore those who fear ephemeral threats like bio-,
>aero-, and agri-terrorism.  Those threats only killed, what, a few thousand
>people in the last year?  Bah.  Most of those deaths occurred on one day.  I
>dismiss it as a statistical anomaly.  We desperately need to protect our PCs
>from diabolical cyber-terrorists who can destroy all flora & fauna in North
>America with just 105 lines of Word macro source code.

Granted that, in and of itself, a "massive cyber-attack" seems not to have
the destructive potential (and certainly not the get-wrenching visuals) of
a spectacular physical attack.

But in coordination with a widespread physical attack, confusion of the
cyber-situation can lead to increased casualties due to panic,
inappropriate direction of response efforts, etc.

And as far as the billions dedicated to "Physical Counter-Terrorism", ask
yourself how much it costs to activate national guard to patrol airport
corridors, bringing thousands of loaded weapons into those facilities.  And
ask yourself whether that REALLY makes flying safer - or is it really
intended to cajole the public into rejoining air-travel, so the revenues
keep flowing.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile