[iwar] [fc:Chinese.crackers.prepare.for.cyber.war]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-05-25 14:16:15

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Chinese.crackers.prepare.for.cyber.war]

Chinese crackers prepare for cyber war

By Nick Farrell, Vnunet.com, 5/24/02

Students may launch attacks on vital western systems

Chinese hackers could be readying themselves to launch a cyber attack on
key western computer systems. The Institute for Strategic Studies, run
by the US Army War College, has released a classified report warning the
Defense Department, US diplomats and law enforcement agencies to be on
the look out for Chinese student hacking attacks some time this summer.
The Institute believes that the attacks will try to spread computer
viruses and deface sensitive government websites. The report, Chinese
Information Warfare: A Phantom or Emerging Threat?, claims that the
hackers are trying to achieve information dominance as a way of
overcoming US military superiority. It would not be the first time that
China has turned to cyber space to vent its anger.
When NATO accidentally bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade killing
three journalists, Chinese hackers broke into the US Department of
Energy's website and replaced its homepage with a note written half in
English, half in Chinese. It read: "We are Chinese hackers who take no
cares about politics. But we cannot stand by seeing our Chinese
reporters being killed.
"Whatever the purpose is, NATO, led by the USA, must take absolute
responsibility. You have owed Chinese people a bloody debt which you
must pay for. We won't stop attacking until the war stops."
A previous Chinese cyber attack on the White House website knocked it
out for four hours.

Is your e-business built on a strong, secure foundation? Find out with VeriSign's FREE White Paper, "Building an E-Commerce Trust Infrastructure.” Learn how to authenticate your site to customers, secure your web servers with 128-Bit SSL encryption, and accept secure payments online. Click here:
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O62TUC/NyKEAA/sXBHAA/kgFolB/TM