[iwar] [fc:Congress'.Joint.Economic.Committee.published.a.report.this.afternoon.on."cyber-security:]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-05-29 19:25:10

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Congress'.Joint.Economic.Committee.published.a.report.this.afternoon.on."cyber-security:]
Congress' Joint Economic Committee published a report this afternoon on "cyber-security:

From Politech List

The essays themselves are more interesting: Not for what they say, but for
how they say it. The report is an excellent example of the type of
Father-knows-best thinking Washingtonians sometimes lapse into -- where
technocrats proclaim their certitude about various societal woes and bemoan
(a) their budgets, (b) their legal authority, (c) that private sector
businesses aren't sufficiently compliant and/or deferential. All the essay
authors, based on my quick read, are current or former government-natsec
types, and I'd wager most have active security clearances.

Note in the press release below four horsemen of the infocalypse are
galloping hard into the fray ("hackers, software pirates, child
pornographers and cyber terrorists", frets Rep. Lamar Smith). Missing are
the drug smugglers and money launderers...

Don't get me wrong; many of the recommendations make sense. Who wouldn't
agree that government infosecurity is laughable and in need of some serious
fixing? Some of the other ideas:

* A "FANNIE MAE" for network security: "Toward that end, to maximize
business confidence, a government-sponsored enterprise, managed as an
independent corporation, should be considered..."
* A cyber-czar, move over Richard Clarke: "We need to appoint a senior
government official with clout..."
* Corporate executives are slow-witted blokes who need things explained
sloooowly: "Only when the threats to critical infrastructure are translated
into business terms that corporate boards and senior management understand..."
* Concern about "market failures": "The government must explore other
options to prevent market failures from posing an unacceptable risk to the
economic and national security of the United States..."
* Limiting annonymity? "Sometimes anonymous environment... We must revisit
our legal, economic, and social regimes... Ensure the effectiveness of law
enforcement..."
* X-Files fodder: "consider emulating FEMA..."

Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/sXBHAA/kgFolB/TM