[iwar] [fc:In.FBI.shift,.cybercrime.is.a.priority]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-05-29 19:27:48

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:In.FBI.shift,.cybercrime.is.a.priority]
In FBI shift, cybercrime is a priority

By Margaret Kane
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
May 29, 2002, 1:35 PM PT

The director of the FBI announced Wednesday that a major reorganization of
the agency would include a new focus on cybercrime and technology.

Protecting the United States against "cyber-based attacks and
high-technology crimes" is one of the FBI's top 10 priorities, Director
Robert Mueller said at a news conference detailing a major reorganization of
the agency.

Preventing high-tech crime "is a protection of our infrastructure," he said.
Cyberterrorism and cybercrime can happen anywhere, and "you need the
overarching responsibility in an agency such as the FBI."

The cybercrime focus is part of a major reorganization that will also add
new agents and put more resources toward preventing terrorism.

The FBI recently announced a new "Cyber Division" to coordinate the agency's
technology-related efforts. The division is being charged with supervising
investigations of federal violations where the Internet, computer systems
and networks "are exploited as the principal instruments or targets of
criminal activity," the FBI has said.

Larry Mefford, who had served as associate special agent in charge of the
San Francisco Field Office, was named assistant director of the Cyber
Division.

The reorganization comes as news that a glitch in the FBI's e-mail wiretap
system could have hindered investigations into terrorist threats.

Mueller also said Wednesday that upgrading technology to support the FBI was
a top priority.

"Upgrading our technology means not just getting our computers on board and
our hard drives, but everybody from the top to the bottom getting facile
with the technology," he said. The FBI has been "years behind where it
should be."

Tied to your PC? Cut Loose and
Stay connected with Yahoo! Mobile
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QBCcSD/o1CEAA/sXBHAA/kgFolB/TM