[iwar] [fc:Dead.Men.Tell.No.Passwords]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-06-05 14:48:32

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:48:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Dead.Men.Tell.No.Passwords]

[FC - so why don't they call a security expert instead of a 'hacker'?]

Dead Men Tell No Passwords
By Michelle Delio

12:08 p.m. June 5, 2002 PDT

The man in charge of archiving and maintaining electronic copies of Norway's
most important historical documents is dead and so is access to those
archives.

So the director of the Norwegian cultural center is pleading for hackers to
help him crack the center's password-protected database.

The problem started when the technician responsible for the archives at
Norway's National Center of Language and Culture never divulged the password
before he died a few years ago.

Since then, employees at the center have been unable to access some of the
password-protected archives that contain data on a collection of thousands
of documents and books. A national database that allowed researchers access
to those documents is also partly inaccessible.

So center director Ottar Grepstad sent out an appeal Tuesday on a national
radio broadcast, asking for hackers to help crack into the system and
discover the programmer's password.

A spokesman for the center said they have received many more replies than
they expected, and are now trying to select the code wizard who can best
help them solve the problem.

Helpful hackers are hoping that the technician wasn't heavily into security
and used an obvious password, instead of the random jumble of letters and
numbers that security experts advise.

"It would be great if the password is his dog's name," said Marco Pasquale,
a Toronto programmer who volunteered to hack the center's database. "If it's
a gibberish password it'll be a real challenge."

The center's dilemma has sparked discussion among some techies who wondered
if there were any way to ensure that their projects would not suffer if they
were to die unexpectedly.

Some have decided to use Aryeh Holzer's "Dead Man's Switch," a program
intended to avoid any postmortem problems or embarrassment.

The switch, if not regularly reset, automatically carries out a series of
pre-designated tasks. It can post pre-composed messages to a geek's favorite
discussion groups, send e-mails to pre-selected addresses, and protect
sensitive files by encrypting or destroying them.

But some who have used the program advise caution.

"I went on vacation, and forgot all about the switch," said Kenny LaGuardia,
a Web designer from Los Angeles. "When I returned home, the program had
posted, 'So I guess I'm dead' messages to all the newslists I subscribe to,
and destroyed all my adult entertainment files."

Download VeriSign's FREE guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business" and learn everything you need to know about using SSL to encrypt your e-commerce transactions for serious online security. Click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/P62TUC/MyKEAA/sXBHAA/kgFolB/TM