Re: [iwar] [fc:They.Heard.It.All.Here ...]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2002-06-24 10:25:03

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:25:03 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:They.Heard.It.All.Here ...]
The article by Pluchinsky promotes a "siege mentality" that is detrimental
to the American psyche, and to democracy in general.

The author writes "this is a war".

Yes, and it will be a "war" forever, most likely.  If we are to succumb to
a siege mentality and restrict the American public from knowledge of the
shortcomings of its infrastructure security, then the public cannot
properly exercise its duty to govern itself.  Security flaws will take far
longer to address without the application of public pressure, a pressure
that can only come from routine awareness.

It is a cost of freedom and democracy that one's enemies are supplied with
information that can be used against us.  But without the free flow of such
information, we lose freedom and democracy at step one.  To allow
significant restrictions on the flow of information, in the public
interest, for the "duration of the war", is essentially to institutionalize
these restrictions.  This hands the greatest "win" to our adversaries.

As a previous writer pointed out, our defense is not a defense of the
"homeland".  It is not about protecting physical borders or
real-estate.  It is all about preserving our democratic institutions.  That
is the target that our enemies aim to destroy.

America will be made weaker, not stronger, by restricting general
infrastructure status information from a public that requires this
information to exercise real governance.

At 09:09 AM 6/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>washingtonpost.com
>They Heard It All Here, And That's the Trouble
>By Dennis Pluchinsky
>Sunday, June 16, 2002; Page B03
>I accuse the media in the United States of treason.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/kgFolB/TM