Re: [iwar] [fc:Ashcroft:.TIPS.Plan.Won't.Have.Central.Database]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-07-28 10:35:01

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:35:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Ashcroft:.TIPS.Plan.Won't.Have.Central.Database]

To All; M keyboard is not printing out all characters and adding in word that I didnt want.  My appologies.  New motherboard is causing m trouble.
er
 "e.r." wrote:
FC_ This is the same person who is working toward tighter interaction between federal and state data bases on same. Last tim I checked the AG one and only job is protecting the constution, not to burn a copy in flames everyday. For a guy who lost his Senate seat to a DEAD MAN, the people of Missouri were trying to tell us all something rather profound. For someone he claims " that the rule of law" is parimount to his efforts, it surely does not appear that way.Perhaps he runs the Justice Dept by the "rule of slevtively chosen laws"-only those that are beneficial to him.
Just to send a chill down your spine, when Russian President Vladmir Putin took his oath of office and gave a speech, he said it was most important for the new Russia to be run by the rule of law. Sound familiar?
Fred Cohen wrote:[FC - for thouse of you who appreciate propaganda...]

Ashcroft: TIPS Plan Won't Have Central Database
Anti-Terror Information Will Be Passed On, He Tells Committee

By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 26, 2002; Page A10

Attorney General John D. Ashcroft told senators yesterday that he had
scrapped plans to include a centralized database as part of a
controversial program enlisting millions of Americans as anti-terrorist
tipsters.

But Ashcroft defended the Operation TIPS initiative as a valuable way
for truck drivers, ship captains and others to identify potential
terrorist activities.

"It builds on existing programs that industry groups have," Ashcroft
said in testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee. "You have the
ability of people who have a regular perception, who understand what's
out of order here, what's different here, and maybe something needs to
be looked into."

Ashcroft also warned that "the entire United States of America is a
target for terrorist activities."

"I believe that there are substantial numbers of individuals in this
country who endorse the al Qaeda agenda," Ashcroft said. "As I observed
the events of September 11th, and as we reconstruct it, we found that
there was a presence across America of individuals, whether it be from
San Diego or Phoenix, or Oklahoma City or Minneapolis or any number of
locations, that might not appear to those of us who would say, 'Now,
where would you find a terrorist?'
"

The attorney general, who has come under fire from Democrats and some
Republicans in recent months, also staunchly defended the Justice
Department's anti-terrorism tactics as effective and constitutional.

Ashcroft also disagreed with findings by congressional investigators
that plans to destroy quickly gun-purchase records would result in more
illegal weapons on the streets.

Operation TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention System) is under
development by the Justice Department as part of President Bush's
Citizen Corps initiative, which aims to get citizens involved in
homeland security. The program has been criticized by some lawmakers
and civil liberties groups, who believe Operation TIPS would encourage
citizens to spy on each other and bears uncomfortable similarities to
surveillance programs during World War II and other conflicts.

"We don't want to see a 1984, Orwellian-type situation here where
neighbors are reporting on neighbors," Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah)
said during Ashcroft's testimony yesterday.

A government Web site calls Operation TIPS a "national system for
reporting suspicious, and potentially terrorist-related activity"
involving "millions of American workers who, in the daily course of
their work, are in a unique position to see potentially unusual or
suspicious activity in public places."

But Ashcroft said the program is not envisioned to include information
garnered from private homes by, for example, a telephone service person.
Information reported to TIPS would be passed on to relevant law
enforcement agencies such as the FBI, he said.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NsdPZD/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/kgFolB/TM