[iwar] US' Secret Army

From: DrewSchaefer@ftnetwork.com
Date: 2002-10-15 05:51:56

To: "iwar@yahoogroups.com" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: <DrewSchaefer@ftnetwork.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:51:56 -0700
Subject: [iwar] US' Secret Army

Hi all,

I found this article, and hope that giving a URL for it is worthy
of the list members' time:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/business/yourmoney/13MILI.html

Writer Leslie Wayne has laid out the role of OFF-budget military
contractors, a topic for which I was blissfully unaware.  But I did note
the names of several, and one, SAIC, was instrumental in the role
of NSI becoming the profitable monopoly (for .com, .net and .org
registrations) it became, prior to the well-intentioned but aborted
gTLD-MoU movement, which was hosed off to become the ICANN
process.

As well, Halliburton (Cheney) receives some mention, for its subsidiary,
Kellogg Brown and Root, who I recall rejoiced at Johnson's becoming
President, as they went from a small TEXAS building company to one of
the world's top contractors, mainly through development of SE Asian
bases ...

As the list is simmering, I thought I'd ask any for their ideas?

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Schaefer
9, ruelle des Galeries, 1248 Hermance, Suisse
+41.76.443.1457 (Mobile #)
    The first issue in a democracy is that you are the
    adults. No one else is going to do this for you.
    Ken Gordon

    Leadership in the right direction finds followers
    and supporters.      D. Rumsfeld

    Let us learn our lessons. Never, never, never
    believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that
    anyone who embarks on that strange voyage can
    measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever
    must realise that once the signal is given, he is
    no longer the master of policy but the slave of
    unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
                                  Winston Churchill

    Throughout the centuries there were men who took
    first steps down new roads armed with nothing but
    their own vision.  Their goals differed, but they
    all had this in common:  That the step was first,
    the road new, the vision unborrowed, and the
    response they received - hatred.
    Ayn Rand

Visit the web site of the Financial Times at  http://www.ft.com

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!