[iwar] Agence France-Presse: India to build own aircraft carrier, still needs Russian ship

From: Ravi V Prasad (r_v_p@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-12-02 15:50:50

To: 4gw@yahoogroups.com, iwar@yahoogroups.com, pak-india@yahoogroups.com, india-pak@yahoogroups.com, spy-paki@yahoogroups.com, china-india@yahoogroups.com, china-strategy@yahoogroups.com, risingindia@yahoogroups.com, my-india@yahoogroups.com
From: Ravi V Prasad <r_v_p@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:50:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] Agence France-Presse: India to build own aircraft carrier, still needs Russian ship

India to build own aircraft carrier, still needs
Russian ship: Navy chief
Agence France-Presse
New Delhi, December 2

India's naval chief Admiral Madhavendra Singh said on
Monday the Government had given the go-ahead for the
building of an indigenous aircraft carrier but
stressed the need for the urgent purchase of a Russian
vessel which is currently up for sale.
"I am happy to inform you that the Government has
recently approved the construction of an indigenous
aircraft carrier," Singh told a news conference in New
Delhi on Tuesday, on the eve of India's naval day
celebrations.

"The construction of the carrier will begin in 2003
... and will take at least eight to 10 years to
build," he said adding that the design for the 37,000
tonne ship had been approved.

Asked if India was still in the market for refurbished
Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov --
decommissioned by the Soviet navy in the 1980s --
Singh replied with a categorical, "Yes - absolutely
... there is absolutely no doubt (about that) in the
minds of the naval staff."

Singh's comments come a day before Russian President
Vladimir Putin begins a three-day state visit to
India.

New Delhi has been looking for an aircraft carrier
since the beginning of the last decade and has been in
negotiations for years with Moscow for the Gorshkov.

The Indian navy decommissioned one of its two aircraft
carriers, the INS Vikrant, in January 1997, while the
second, the INS Viraat, will be out of operation in
another couple of years, naval sources said.

"Ideally, any blue water navy should have at least
three carriers, where at least two are operational
when the third goes for a refit," the source said.

"In our case, we need to come a conclusion about the
Gorshkov soon or we will be without an aircraft
carrier," he said.

Three years ago, Russia had offered the ageing
aircraft carrier free of charge, with the string that
India coughs up millions of dollars for its refit.

According to a senior naval official, India had sent
three teams to Russia to evaluate Gorshkov in the past
few years, but "serious negotiations on its price
began only this year in March.

"So it is not quite correct to say price negotiations
have been taking time," he said

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CBxunD/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/kgFolB/TM