[iwar] [fc:SEPTEMBER.11,.2001:.TEN.WAYS.TO.LOOK.AT.WHAT.HAPPENED.AND.WHAT.TO.EXPECT]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-18 19:18:36

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:18:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:SEPTEMBER.11,.2001:.TEN.WAYS.TO.LOOK.AT.WHAT.HAPPENED.AND.WHAT.TO.EXPECT]

by Michael Radu

September 17, 2001

Michael Radu, Ph.D., is a Senior Fellow at Foreign Policy Research
Institute, specializing in the study of revolutionary/terrorist groups worldwide.

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001: TEN WAYS TO LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT TO EXPECT

by Michael Radu

As the nation -- or nations, since some 40 countries lost citizens in
the New York City attacks -- recovers from the immediate shock and
outrage over the events of September 11, it is necessary to understand
the phenomenon that led to the atrocities, lest our response be
incomplete or misguided.

1. This is not a war between the West and Islam but between the West and
a large segment of the Islamic world, the fundamentalist minority. For
the fundamentalists, the problem is not U.S. policy toward Israel, the
Gulf, or anywhere else, the problem is the United States itself -- not
what we do, but who we are.

2. While Arab leaders and our own leaders are right to admonish us to
avoid confusing Muslims with terrorists, the fact is there are no known
cases of contemporary mass terrorism in the name of Judaism,
Christianity, Confucianism, Buddhism, or Hinduism. There thus appears to
be something in Islam that allows the likes of the Taliban or bin Laden
to thrive. Only the Muslims themselves can root it out. What America
needs from the Islamic world far more than military or political support
is for Muslims themselves -- from the smallest mosques in New York City,
Peshawar, or Hamburg to the largest in Mecca -- to read the
fundamentalists out of Islam. In the long run, the most effective
counter-terrorist force -- potentially -- is Muslims who proclaim that
terrorism is anti-Islamic.

3. It is said that Pakistani President Musharaf sees Mustafa Kemal
"Ataturk," the builder of modern Turkey, as his model. Let us hope that
is true, and that more Muslim leaders see Ataturk as a model. For Turkey
alone in the Middle East has succeeded in demonstrating that Islam and
Western political values are not incompatible. It is ironic, in this
respect, that our European friends often think that Ankara's crackdown
on Islamic fundamentalism is an infringement on human rights.

4. Speaking of our European friends, their expressions of solidarity
cannot help but move us all. Let us hope, however, that we don't find
ourselves debilitated by unrelenting objections over strategy and
tactics, or, even worse, the attempt to solve the "root causes" of
terrorism - - the surest path to retreat. It was not a European,
however, but a prominent American professor at MIT, Noam Chomsky, who
interpreted the events of September 11 as "an atrocity answering
American atrocities."

5. There are innumerable Islamic terrorist cells throughout Western
Europe taking advantage, as they do in the United States, of democracy's
openness. When we hear that some Islamic leaders in England or Germany
still preach support for the perpetrators of the crimes in New York,
Washington and Pennsylvania -- and do so publicly -- one has to wonder.
When dozens, or hundreds, of Islamic terrorists indicted or even
sentenced for crimes in Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Turkey and so on are
still being given asylum in Western Europe, one has to question how
serious our allies are. What we need to know from the Europeans is
whether they are in this for the long haul and whether they are prepared
to take stiff measures to stem the terrorist threat. Judging from the
European press, not all the signs are encouraging, for the Atlantic may
be wider than we thought.

6. President Bush has described the terrorist attack and its aftermath
as "a different kind" of war. How "different" is it? To begin with, it
is a protracted conflict in which the distinction between domestic and
foreign, police and military, can no longer be made. It is a seamless
conflict in which the link between the internal and international
operations has a clear name -- intelligence. Indeed, in the long run,
the most important and decisive role is going to be played not by the
military but by institutions that Western democracies do not normally
see as associated with war: police and intelligence. The U.S. and allied
militaries obviously have an important role in the short term, but
ultimately this is a war to be won or lost on the streets of New York,
London, Hamburg and Paris, by innumerable policemen and plainclothes FBI
and other security personnel, as well as by plainclothes men of the
Jordanian, Egyptian, and Algerian secret services.

7. Legislation has to be dramatically changed in Washington as well as
Ottawa, Brussels, Strasbourg, and all the EU member states. If this war
is to be won, the European obsession with American death penalty
legislation has to give way to higher priorities, such as extraditing or
putting down terrorists for good. The politically correct campaign in
Europe and the United States against "racial profiling" has to stop:
after all, looking for tall, blond and blue-eyed persons in order to
stop Middle Eastern terrorism makes no sense.

8. The terrorists of New York have many potential allies in the
anti-globalization movement who share anti-capitalist, anti-democratic,
and anti-Western ideas. It is not that the "anti-globalists" are
terrorists, or even support them, but they will likely oppose the tough
anti-terrorist measures that are required to meet the threat.

9. In the short run, the military questions most often mentioned are
targeting, logistics, and numbers. The targets could be limited, at
least initially, to the Taliban and Osama bin Laden leadership. One has
to remember that many, probably most Afghans, are at least tired of, if
not hostile to, the Taliban rule. The notion that myriads of Afghans,
plus some refugees in camps in Iran or Pakistan, would join the "jihad"
requested by the Taliban is probably nonsense; it may well be a call to
war few would rally around. Logistically, Pakistan, Russia, and Russia's
protectorates in Central Asia (all of whom are Turkic speakers) are the
keys for a ground operation. That operation has to be short, sharp, and
effective. At the same time, we must get out the word to the Afghan
people that the Taliban rulers and their criminal guests are the enemy,
not the Afghans themselves. Many Afghans would cooperate with the U.S.
if that understanding is clear in their own minds, and if the idea of an
American occupation of Afghanistan is dispelled beforehand.

10. Ultimately, this is a protracted conflict, to be won by Western
police, intelligence, and military forces, with the vital support of
Muslim intelligence resources. It is not, as I said earlier, a war
between Islam and the West, though irrationality and fear could make it
so. And, whether we like it or not, the map of the Islamic world is
going to be different from what it is today -- politically and culturally.

This said, we should not forget that international terrorism is not
limited to Islamist fanatics, even if they are the most numerous, best
organized, and widespread. There are still the Basque Euskadi ta
Askatsuna (ETA), the Irish Republican Army, and the Tamil Tigers lurking
in the shadows, planning murder and mayhem in many countries, and
receiving support from many more. They are part of the enemy in this war.