[iwar] a

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-01-02 06:47:23

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 06:47:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] a

Wall Street Journal
January 2, 2002
Jordan's King Says Islam Must Embrace The U.S.'s 'New Way Of Doing Business'
By James M. Dorsey, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan's King Abdullah II is emerging as the Arab world's
Tony Blair, an eloquent and enthusiastic advocate of U.S. policy in the wake
of the Sept. 11 attacks.
In a wide-ranging interview, he said the Israelis and Palestinians are
equally responsible for reviving their peace process, that Iraq should let
in United Nations weapons inspectors within six months and that Arab
governments -- including his own -- should get serious about social and
economic reform.
Young, energetic and reformist, the 39-year-old soldier-turned-monarch
envisions turning his country into a Singapore-style center for information
technology, a model of political, social and economic reform and a leading
force in creating an Islamic identity comfortable with modernity and
democratic progress.
"When the Americans say are you with us or against us, they basically say
that there is a new way of doing business, there is a new level of ethics --
and are you going to be part of that or not. If not, I think you have a
serious problem," the king said in the study of his hilltop residence on the
outskirts of the Jordanian capital of Amman, lined with books and CDs on
military strategy and history, a collection of old Mauser pistols, daggers,
swords and knight's armor.
That new post-Sept. 11 way of doing business has prompted King Abdullah to
take a fresh look at the Middle East conflict, and he says the Arab and
Islamic world can no longer afford to be bogged down by the
Israeli-Palestinian dispute. It is a sensitive topic, since his kingdom
borders the West Bank and the majority of its population is Palestinian.
While other Arab leaders have put the onus for a resolution of the Middle
East conflict on the U.S. and Israel, King Abdullah indicates Arabs and
Muslims need to look at much larger issues confronting the Islamic world.
"I went to [Palestinian leader Yasser] Arafat and said: 'Before the 11th of
September, my main concern was the Israeli-Palestinian issue. Now my main
concern is what is happening inside the Islamic world as a result of 11
September," King Abdullah said, speaking in American-accented English, a
result of years in Western boarding schools and universities.
"This is not a struggle between East and West; this is a struggle inside
Islam, which is going to plague us for the next 10, 15, 20 years. I see the
Palestinian-Israeli struggle as phase one of a larger problem," he says.
In contrast to Arab leaders who have called on President Bush to pressure
Israel into making concessions to the Palestinians, King Abdullah said,
"Both parties have to take the first step before the Americans can get
involved."
Turning to Iraq, King Abdullah said Baghdad was realizing that Sept. 11 had
changed the world and that it would have to re-engage in dialogue with the
United Nations if it wanted to avert a renewed confrontation with the U.S.
He said Iraq had a six-month window to allow U.N. weapons inspectors back
into the country. Iraq has refused for the past three years to grant access
to U.N. inspectors, demanding instead that all U.N. sanctions against it
imposed after its 1990 invasion of Kuwait be lifted. The sanctions come up
for review in late May, and the king said Iraq had to change before then.
At home, King Abdullah has yet to turn around the country's stagnating,
debt-burdened and corruption-riddled economy. The stakes are higher than
ever, because unemployed young men are susceptible to poaching by extremist
groups like Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network. So the king has unveiled a
program that focuses on economic growth, privatization, support for small
enterprises, educational reform and social prosperity, and has vowed to put
"food on the table" of every Jordanian in 2002.
King Abdullah said he was determined to ensure that vested interests and
bureaucracy wouldn't torpedo his efforts to root out corruption and reform
the economy. "I'm not taking any prisoners. If a minister is not going to
perform in his ministry, if he's not going to be serious about implementing
plans that are going to reach the citizen, I'll find somebody who will."

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM