RE: [iwar] [fc:Most.troubled.by.net.security]

From: John Sforza (jsforza@rochester.rr.com)
Date: 2002-01-03 21:33:59

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "John Sforza" <jsforza@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:33:59 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] [fc:Most.troubled.by.net.security]

FC wrote
What amazed me is the final realization that the things that worked 30
years ago to attck systems still work today.  When will this field get
an engineering / scientific basis and approach?  Never?
--------
If memory servers me many authors of our existing computer and
communications technologies were well educated in the engineering and
scientific methods. I have an intuition that the issue is one of a lack of
vision regarding the future impact of 'get it done' creative solutions that
break out of labs like bad viruses. Yes, they worked to address a problem at
hand and were scaled to Standards and common models without the application
of rigorous scientific method, usually by someone other that the original
author. The whole mess of personal computing, the internet and runaway
creation, dissemination and casual misuse of information begs for a
Connections style analysis.

On another point - We are quickly approaching a period in which key
individuals of the Information Age are retiring or deceased. Much of the
original notes, code and personal memories are being lost at an alarming
rate. While a multitude of volumes have been written on the subject, there
is an alarming lack of first person narrative and supportive original
material. Case in point was my personal discovery of a rather unique Vulcan
program I had written 20+ years ago that I can no longer access. Ok, so I
admit that the formal publications are available in the LC but I was
thinking more about the 'FireFox' like material.

 - any thoughts?

John Sforza

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!