Re: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2002-02-01 06:54:55

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:54:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

Per the message sent by Leo, Ross:

> I remain unconvinced that, at least in the West, many people (even in these
> underground circles) regard martyrdom as noble.  Frequently, they think it
> foolish and unnecessary.  I thought I noticed in Austin's comments a bit of
> the martyr's drumbeat.  Such rhetoric is tiresome, and I think in his case
> purely self-serving, with no nobility or altruism whatever.  Given that, he
> has no credibility whatever, and denigrates the cause he claims.

> To many he will sound too much like those others crying "Death to America"
> elsewhere in the world, and thus be written off as misguided, disloyal,
> un-American, etc.  Such people have no sympathetic audience here these days,
> and this young man will not be the one who changes that.

I agree completely with your basic notion - that this site will do
nothing to change the world.  But free speech is about the notion that
he should be able to expose his ideas in the great marketplace of ideas.

I would far rather have his site available so that people who look at it
can judge it as foolishness than to close it and turn it into the
desirable unknown.

In terms of disloyalty - unAmerican - I have cause to disagree with this
notion.  I think those who remove such a site are the ones who are
disloyal and unAmerican.  After all, loyalty would mean standing up for
the freedom to express your ideas, and any true patriot would see that
we need dissent to remain free.  The loyal opposition is the most
desirable thing we have in the United States.  And what makes the
opposition loyal is their ability to air their grievances in the public
marketplace without fear of oppression.

There are, of course, limits.  For example, insighting to riot or crying
'fire' in a crowded thater when there is no fire (the second part is
really important and often forgotten).  But publishing anything over the
Internet that could be publishedin a book sound to me like free speech.

The anarchists cookbook is widely available and for sale and has been
for many years.  It includes good descriptions of how to make explosive
devices, how to break into cars, and on and on.  The same thing should
be available over the Internet without restrictions.  The truth of the
matter is, and the introduction to The Anarchist's Cookbook says this
explicitly, the terrorists already know how to make a bomb.  There is
public benefit in all of us understanding how these things work - if
only so we know what we are looking at when we see someone doing it.

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Secure all your Web servers now - with a proven 5-part
strategy. The FREE Server Security Guide shows you how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iWSNbC/VdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM