Re: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2002-02-01 11:12:02

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:12:02 -0800
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:FBI.Raid.Silences.Teen.Anarchist's.Site]

I think you hit that nail squarely on the head, Fred.

At 06:54 AM 2/1/02 -0800, you wrote:
[snip]
>In terms of disloyalty - unAmerican - I have cause to disagree with this
>notion.  I think those who remove such a site are the ones who are
>disloyal and unAmerican.  After all, loyalty would mean standing up for
>the freedom to express your ideas, and any true patriot would see that
>we need dissent to remain free.  The loyal opposition is the most
>desirable thing we have in the United States.  And what makes the
>opposition loyal is their ability to air their grievances in the public
>marketplace without fear of oppression.
>
>There are, of course, limits.  For example, insighting to riot or crying
>'fire' in a crowded thater when there is no fire (the second part is
>really important and often forgotten).  But publishing anything over the
>Internet that could be publishedin a book sound to me like free speech.
>
>The anarchists cookbook is widely available and for sale and has been
>for many years.  It includes good descriptions of how to make explosive
>devices, how to break into cars, and on and on.  The same thing should
>be available over the Internet without restrictions.  The truth of the
>matter is, and the introduction to The Anarchist's Cookbook says this
>explicitly, the terrorists already know how to make a bomb.  There is
>public benefit in all of us understanding how these things work - if
>only so we know what we are looking at when we see someone doing it.
>
>FC

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Secure all your Web servers now - with a proven 5-part
strategy. The FREE Server Security Guide shows you how.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iWSNbC/VdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM