Re: [iwar] [fc:Who.Lost.China's.Internet?]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-02-22 23:28:36

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:28:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Who.Lost.China's.Internet?]

If the Government determines who gets PCs, cells and the PLA-Army- is
training hackers , the Chinese govt is using it to control its people
with contact to the outside, not forward democracy.  Regardless of what
you do in China, Bejing always is looking over your shoulder. It is not
a matter of who lost the net, it was a question of how long it would
take Bejing to gain control over it. Remember, this is not a blooming
democracy. It is still a communist nation-state that is simply learning
the new ways to communicate to the rest of the world.
--- Fred Cohen <fc@all.net> wrote:
> Who Lost China's Internet?
> From the February 25, 2002 issue: Without U.S. assistance, it will
> remain a
> tool of the Beijing government, not a force for democracy.
> by Ethan Gutmann
> 02/15/2002 12:00:00 AM
>
> BEIJING
> It's not easy being the father of the Chinese Internet. Children are
> running
> by, boats are paddling, the smell of roast lamb fills the air, and
> Michael
> Robinson, a young American computer engineer, sits rigidly, facing an
> empty
> cafe on the shore of Qinghai Lake, speaking in a low voice of the
> crackdown.
> "What is better? Big brother Internet? Or no Internet at all?"
> Michael asks.
>
> Michael was hired in 1996 by the Chinese government and Global One (a
> Sprint-France Telecom-Deutsche Telekom joint venture) to build the
> first
> network in China providing public access to the Internet. One day
> sticks in
> his mind. The Chinese engineers working with him suddenly convened a
> special
> meeting, demanding to know if it would be possible to do keyword
> searching
> inside e-mails and web addresses on the Chinese Internet. Not really,
> Michael replied; all information that travels the Net is broken up
> into
> little packets. It's hard to "sniff" packets of information,
> particularly
> coded packets. You would need to intercept packets as they travel,
> and then
> there's the problem of collating the information they contain,
> actually
> making sense of it. Yes, yes, they said, but can you do it? On the
> third
> go-round, it dawned on Michael that his fellow computer geeks wanted
> to end
> the meeting, too. But at a higher level, someone required assurance.
> Before
> Internet construction proceeded further, they would need to monitor
> what
> Chinese users did with it. For the engineers, this was just
> cover-your-ass
> stuff. As long as the foreigner assured them that down the road the
> Chinese
> would be able to build an Internet firewall against the world and
> conduct
> surveillance on its own citizens, the engineers could continue
> working with
> him. Yes, yes, it can be done, Michael told them, and they went back
> work.
>
> Americans make dreams, and every generation carries new ones to
> China. Since
> 1979 that dream has been the fall of the Chinese Communist party and
> the
> [...]

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM