Re: [iwar] [fc:Yale:.Princeton.Hacks.Admission.Site]

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-07-28 10:24:23

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Yale:.Princeton.Hacks.Admission.Site]

While the Princton-Yale affair sickens me as an Ivy alum, taking  such an underhanded action to get the best students these days would likely be an equalivent of an athletically oriented school doing the same to garner information on potential students to recruite for a sports team.  It would be a clear NCAA recruting violation if the hack were over student athletes.  The two universities are never hurting for competetion  for the best students in the nation.  What generated this sleezy behavior goes far beyond any rational action,or comparitive analysis purposes.  I did grad work at Dartmouth's Thayer School of engineering and know that they attract both bright very athletically and generallly outdoor types give the climate.  It is not for everyone, but Yale and Princton do not have such disparities which makes their action incusible
 Fred Cohen wrote:Yale: Princeton Hacks Admission Site
Yale Complains That Princeton Admissions Officials Hacked Into Site for
Prospective Students

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) Yale University complained to the FBI on Thursday that
admissions officials at Princeton hacked into a Yale Web site that was set
up for prospective students.

Yale said it found 18 unauthorized log-ins to the Web site that were traced
back to computers at Princeton, including computers in the admissions
office.

"We're assessing the information to see if there is a federal violation,"
FBI spokeswoman Lisa Bull said.

The head of admissions at Princeton said the school just checked the site to
see how secure it was. Princeton gained access by looking up students who
had applied to both schools.

"It was really an innocent way for us to check out the security," Stephen
LeMenager, Princeton's dean of admissions, told the Yale Daily News, which
broke the story Thursday in its online edition.

"That was our main concern of having an online notification system, that it
would be susceptible to people who had that information parents, guidance
counselors, and admissions officers at other schools."

Yale said Princeton's actions violated the privacy of the students.

"We have therefore notified appropriate law enforcement authorities as well
as the applicants whose Web locations were accessed," said Dorothy K.
Robinson, Yale vice president and general counsel.

The Web site was activated for a few weeks in the spring so that
undergraduate applicants could find out if they got in to Yale. Applicants
could access the site by using their Social Security numbers and birthdates.
The site included links to admissions information and personal data about
the students.

If a student was admitted, the site flashed fireworks and a congratulatory
message. If the student did not get in, a message indicating that was
displayed.

The site included a notice that only students, not parents or others, may
access the site, and it warned that Yale would investigate and act on any
unauthorized use.

This was the first year Yale used the Web site, which proved to be popular
with students. The day it went online in April, more than 9,700 applicants
had logged in, including 1,190 of the nearly 1,500 students who were
admitted.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!