Re: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality (fwd)

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-08-09 11:14:57

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 11:14:57 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality (fwd)

At 07:48 AM 8/9/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Per the message sent by Anonymized for your protection:
>
> > Some federal judges are protesting the monitoring of their computers by
> > Washington managers concerned about personal Internet use.  The judges
> > of the 9th U.S.  Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco claim the
> > practice is illegal.  They are pressing to get it stopped, and the
> > Supreme Court chief justice and other judges will consider the request
> > next month.  To demonstrate their discontent, judges of the 9th Circuit
> > ordered staff to disable monitoring software in May.  The weeklong
> > shutdown affected 10,000 court employees in the Circuit, which covers
> > nine states and two territories, and two other court
> > districts......continued......
>
>We have given up our personal freedoms in exchange for 'security' - but
>we are not getting security - are we? Indeed, we are getting less
>security and the federal law enforcement types are getting more power to
>monitor and coalate information on us.  Our rights to privacy and
>ownership are eroding and the threat/fear of cyber terrorism and other
>suchthings are being used to take these things away from us.  The right
>to free expression is being pushed as well - by the arrest of the
>Russian who published a paper on how to break a code after DefCon - for
>example...

I concur.

"Anonymized" also offered the general observation that, due to the
complexity of the technology, infrastructure management is gaining De Facto
peer rights to information content.  Since there is (IMHO) no practical way
to avoid this situation, the only remedy would appear to be laws that
prohibit infrastructure management from taking any actions, based upon
revealed content, that are not aimed directly at infrastructure integrity.

In this digital age, the fact that "data" to one process can be "process"
to another process makes the "content vs infrastructure" distinction
increasingly problematic.

The debate parallels that involving encryption.  There is no doubt that
ubiquitous strong crypto will hamper many law enforcement efforts, and yet
pervasive cryptography could also serve to harden the entire infrastructure
to broader strategic threats.  Someone (on this list, I believe) asked,
"What is more important, law enforcement or national security?"

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!