RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality

From: John Sforza (jsforza@rochester.rr.com)
Date: 2001-08-09 12:06:58

To: <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "John Sforza" <jsforza@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:06:58 -0400
Subject: RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information  Privacy and Confidentiality

Tony wrote..

>"Anonymized" also offered the general observation that, due to the
>complexity of the technology, infrastructure management is gaining De Facto
>peer rights to information content.  Since there is (IMHO) no practical way
>to avoid this situation, the only remedy would appear to be laws that
>prohibit infrastructure management from taking any actions, based upon
>revealed content, that are not aimed directly at infrastructure integrity.

>In this digital age, the fact that "data" to one process can be "process"
>to another process makes the "content vs infrastructure" distinction
>increasingly problematic.

Tony, I love it when somebody says "no practical way". Those should be
fighting words to a competent group of OS architects. I am willing to accept
even a partial solution in this space so how about the following:

An OS that grants inital admin rights only to the data creator. The inital
rights are restricted to creator eyes only and no transport. The creator
determines the data classification and establishes rules of modification and
channels of exchange. Ok, so I admit that an individual will have to add
some process to data creation, but hey I remember PAPER and the issues of
control and distribution before Xerox appeared on the scene. Speaking of the
big X, remember GlobalView.. they were on the right path for a while there.

On an aside - we often use the example of the bin diving janitor when
talking of covert information gathering but in my experience I know the
janitor's face better than I know some SA or network geek (pardon to the IT
community) in the bowls of the building. A least the janitor says hello and
knocks on the door.

>The debate parallels that involving encryption.  There is no doubt that
>ubiquitous strong crypto will hamper many law enforcement efforts, and yet
>pervasive cryptography could also serve to harden the entire infrastructure
>to broader strategic threats.  Someone (on this list, I believe) asked,
>"What is more important, law enforcement or national security?"

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM