[iwar] Today's events

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-11 12:18:53

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Today's events

I thought I would recap today's events with an eye toward many of their
impacts - beyond the obvious loss of life.  My wild guess is that
something like 50,000 people - perhaps twice that - perhaps half - have
lost their lives today in the use of commercial aircraft to attack
high-profile military (the Pentagon) and commercial (World Trade Center
Towers) buildings.  Unfortunately, this is likely just the beginning of
the violence and not the end.  An approximate chronology is included
below.

The deepest concerns I have at this point stem from the impacts this
will have on freedoms in the United States.  As you are all aware, after
Perl Harbor was bombed, people with asian facial characteristics were
put into prison camps.  While I do not impage that this same thing will
happen today, it seems all too clear that freedomes are under assault.
The media and representatives from the US government as well as policy
groups are starting the rhetoric of reduced freedome - increased
surveillance, and so forth.  We have seen the Pennsylvania Supreme Court
rule that there is no expectation of privacy in telephone calls, and
thus open the doot to audio surveillance.  We see new laws proposed that
are to mandate government approved security technologies mandated for
all computers - no doubt with the ability of the government to get what
they want with ease.  We are already searched at airports and this will
likely only get more stringent.  Where will it go from here?

Part 2 - We see television reports with people from various Middle
Eastern nations celebrating this event.  How obvious does it have to be
that this will result in increased hatred between the muslum and arabic
nations and the Western European and North American nations? It seems
almost insane that the willing participants to this do not care that
they are beggin for a global military conflict which may result in the
deaths of millions.  Perhaps it is their goal - if so they may well
achieve it.  The perception management - let's just call it propaganda
at this point has been so effective that the people in control of
information sources are beginning to create the wars they have so
desired.

From my view this is information warfare of the most serious sort.  It
seems to me that unless we find a way to tone down the rhetoric and stop
the intentional training of peoples to desire violence, we will continue
to sink into the pit of war and that this war will expand to the
detriment of all humanity.

I welcome other views.

FC
=========================
Here is a reasonably good chronology of the events:

Chronology of events

8.42am - An aircraft slams into the northern tower of the World Trade
Center in New York

9am - A second aircraft hits the second tower of the World Trade Center
complex

9.15am - US markets postpone Tuesday morning openings while the Chicago
Board of Trade suspends trading in all futures and options markets

9.30am - Reports of an explosion at the Pentagon

9.45am - Democratic Front for Liberation of Palestine deny
responsibility for attacks

9.55am - The State Department is evacuated after an apparent terrorist
attack on the World Trade Center in New York, officials said

9.55am - The White House, State Department and US Treasury Department
was evacuated

10am - One of the two towers collapses

10.05am - All flights departing from U.S.  airports were halted
indefinitely

10.10am - Reports of explosion at Capitol Hill building

10.15am - Confirmation of third aircraft crashing at the Pentagon

10.15am - U.N.  headquarters building in New York evacuated

10.25am - All US-bound flights diverted to Canada

10.30am - Second World Trade Center tower collapses

10.35am (15.35BST) - Reports of London Stock Exchange being evacuated

- All times local (BST minus 5 hours)

--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM